Nothing quite says ‘summer’ like biting into a ripe, juicy peach on a hot day! This time of year freshly picked peaches are easy to find. They’re at your local farmers market and at the fruit stand off the highway on your way home. Your coworker even brought in a box full of peaches for everyone to share! You get the point – they’re everywhere!
So let’s put this abundance to good use. We’ve paired our Small Lot Riesling with a Peach, Basil and Mozzarella Flatbread for a summertime appetizer that cannot be beat! Here’s why:
- While it’s incredibly easy to put together, taste and presentation are not compromised.
- Washington Riesling and peaches go together like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.
- If you buy peaches locally, you’ll be supporting local farmers.
2016 Mercer Small Lot Riesling
AVA: Yakima Valley | ALC: 12.7% | PH: 3.06 | T.A: .66
Bone-dry with racy acidity and aromas that leap from the glass of white peaches, orange blossoms and tropical lychee.
We fermented and aged 10% of this blend on the skins, creating a wine with amazing aromas and texture. The complexity of this wine greats you in layers. Fresh fruit is first
with lychee, white peach, and orange blossom then the warmth of honey and beeswax. Steely minerality and a core of acid focuses the fruit. On the palate, the wine has
mouthwatering acidity and fresh fruit. The flavors in the palate mirror the aromas and linger nicely on the finish.
This wine is drinking beautifully now, but thanks to the great acidity has the potential to age very well.
- 3 slices of tandoori nan or pita bread
- 4oz Mozzarella Fresca
- Fresh peaches, sliced
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Mercer Small Lot Riesling 2016
- Optional: balsamic reduction sauce
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Brush flatbread with ½ tbsp of olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread mozzarella evenly over the flatbread. Place sliced peaches on top of mozzarella. Place in oven for 7-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and crust is crisp.
- Place basil leaves on top of the flatbread. Use a pizza cuter to slice the flatbread horizontally.
- Optional: Drizzle your favorite balsamic reduction sauce over the flatbread.
- Serve with a chilled glass of Mercer Small Lot Riesling & Enjoy! Cheers!
We love to see your Mercer Wine pairings! Share your Peach & Basil Flatbread Pairing by using the #MercerWine hashtag on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Cheers!